Thank you for your interest in our website and our organisation.
Protection and transparency in handling your personal data during your visit to our website are important to us. In the following we therefore inform you which data is collected during your visit to this website and how it is used.
By using our web pages you agree to the following described data use.
We are developing our website further and implementing new technologies. It may therefore be necessary to amend this data protection declaration with effect for the future. Therefore, the version available when you visit this page always applies.
1. Name and address of the data controller
“Controller” within the meaning of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the German Federal Data Protection Act (BDSG) and other data protection laws and regulations is:
Medienstadt Leipzig e. V.,
Alte Schürzenfabrik, Etage 2
Ranstädter Steinweg 28
Phone: +49. 341. 247 430 08
2. General information on data processing
2.1 Scope of processing of personal data
We process personal data of visitors to our website only insofar as this is necessary for their provision and for the contents and services offered. The processing of personal data takes place regularly only after consent of the user. An exception applies in those cases where prior consent cannot be obtained for real reasons and the processing of the data is permitted by law.
2.2 Legal basis for the processing of personal data
Insofar as we obtain the consent of the data subject for the processing of personal data, Article 6 (1) (a) of the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) serves as the legal basis.
In the processing of personal data required for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is a party, Article 6 (1) (b) GDPR serves as the legal basis. This also applies for operations necessary in pre-contractual measures.
As the processing of personal data is required to fulfil a legal obligation to which our association is subject, Article 6 (1) (c) GDPR serves as the legal basis.
In the event that the vital interests of the data subject or another natural person require the processing of personal data, Article 6 (1) (d) GDPR serves as the legal basis.
If processing is necessary to protect a legitimate interest of our association or a third party – without the interests, fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject prevailing – Article 6 (1) (f) GDPR serves as the legal basis for processing.
2.3 Deletion of data and duration of storage
The personal data of the person concerned will be deleted or blocked as soon as the purpose of storage ceases to apply. Beyond that a storage can take place, if this is provided by the European or national legislator in union-legal regulations, laws or other regulations to which the controller is subject. The data will also be blocked or deleted if a storage period specified in the mentioned laws and regulations expires, unless there is a need for further storage of the data for the conclusion or fulfilment of a contract.
3. Provision of the website and creation of log files
3.1. Description and scope of data processing
For the processing of the data by service providers and for the hosting of the website, agreements on order processing have been concluded in accordance with Article 28 (3) GDPR. Data transmission between the user’s data processing system and our service provider’s systems is encrypted by using state-of-the-art technology.
Our systems automatically collect data and information of the accessing data processing system every time the web site of the contoller is visited.
In this context, the following data is collected:
- IP address of the requesting system,
- information about the browser type and version used
- the operating system of the requesting computer,
- the name of the retrieved files of our services
- date and time of retrieval
- the amount of data transferred.
These data are stored with shortened IP address in the log files of our system. This excludes the possibility of assigning them to persons. These data are not stored or combined with other personal data of the user.
3.2 Legal basis of data processing
The legal basis for the temporary storage of data and log files is Article 6 (1) (f) GDPR.
3.3 Purpose of data processing
The temporary storage of the IP address by the system is necessary to enable the website to be delivered to the user’s computer. For this the IP address of the user must remain stored for the duration of the session.
The data is stored in log files to ensure the functionality of the website. In addition, the data serves us to optimize the web site and to ensure the security of our IT systems. Use of the data for marketing purposes does not take place in this context.
Our legitimate interest in data processing pursuant to Article 6 (1) (f) GDPR lies in these purposes.
3.4. Duration of storage
The data will be deleted as soon as they are no longer necessary to achieve the purpose for which they were collected. In the case of the collection of data for the delivery of the website, this is the case when the respective session has ended.
This is the case after 5 weeks for the data stored in log files with shortened IP addresses.
3.5 Possibility of objection and erasure
The collection of data for providing of the website and the storage of data in log files is absolutely necessary for the operation of the website. Consequently, there is no possibility of objection on the part of the user, only the chance not to use the website.
4.1 Description and scope of data processing
4.2 Legal basis of data processing
The legal basis for the processing of personal data using technically necessary cookies is Article 6 (1) (f) GDPR.
4.3 Purpose of data processing
The user data collected by technically necessary cookies are not used to create user profiles.
For these purposes, our legitimate interest also lies in the processing of personal data in accordance with Article 6 (1) (f) GDPR.
4.4 Duration of storage
The cookies we set are deleted when the web browser is closed (session cookie).
4.5 Possibility of objection and erasure
5. Integration of content from third partys
5.1 Description and scope of data processing
Google is certified under the EU-US Privacy Shield. This will ensure that a level comparable to that of European data protection is guaranteed (https://www.privacyshield.gov/participant?id=a2zt000000001L5AAI&status=Active).
In order to be able to deliver the integrated contents to your system, data such as
- IP address
- Date and time of the request
- Address of the content to be delivered
- Browser type and operating system
will be transferred to the third-party provider. The provider of the embedded content is setting cookies. This cookies will store information that can be used for marketing and tracking purposes, to monitor your on line behaviour and use of different websites and to provide you with personalised adverts. You may have agreed to the use of these cookies on the Google platform.
The setting of this third-party provider cookies can be prevented by the user of the site through appropriate settings in the browser.
5.2 Legal basis of data processing
The legal basis for the processing of data is Article 6 (1) (f) GDPR.
5.3 Purpose of data processing
The processing of the data by the delivering systems is necessary in order to be able to transfer the integrated contents of the website to the user’s computer. For this purpose, the described data of the user must be transferred to these systems. This is also the purpose of our legitimate interest in data processing according to Article 6 (1) (f) GDPR.
5.4 Duration of storage
No definitive information can be given as to how long the data will be stored with the third-party providers.
5.5 Possibility of objection and erasure
The processing of data for the delivery of content by third party websites is absolutely necessary for the operation of the website and the transmission of the content.
There is only a possibility of objection if the third party provider offers corresponding possibilities.
6. Mailing lists
6.1 Description and scope of data processing
On our website we offer the possibility to subscribe to mailing lists. All communication and commands to the mailing lists are done by email. The data from this emails are transferred to us for any interaction with the list. The data are your email address, the command address of the list and – if given – any content. In addition, the date and time of registration as well as the IP address are stored.
For the successful subscription to the list, the user must confirm an invitation email and agree to the use of her or his data.
If you send posts to the mailing list, this posts will be forwarded to all other subscribers of this mailing list and we collect the content of this post in the archive of the mailing list together with the email address and name you subscribed with. Beside this data we collect the meta data of the post as contained in every email such as IP address, date and time, email programm, relay servers.
In connection with data processing for the mailing list, no data is passed on to third parties as we run our own mailing list server. Agreements on order processing have been concluded with the hosting provider in accordance with Article 28 (3) GDPR. The data will be used exclusively for running the mailing lists.
6.2 Legal basis of data processing
The legal basis for the processing of data transmitted in the course of subscription is Article 6 (1) (f) GDPR.
The legal basis for the processing of the data after confirmation of registration by the user is, with the user’s consent, Article 6 (1) (a) GDPR.
6.3 Purpose of data processing
The collection of the user’s email address serves to deliver the emails from the lists.
The collection of other personal data as part of the registration process serves to prevent misuse of the services or the email address used.
6.4 Duration of storage
The data will be deleted as soon as they are no longer necessary to achieve the purpose for which they were collected. The user’s email address and the data collected during the registration process will therefore be stored for as long as the subscription to the mailing list is active.
6.5 Possibility of objection and erasure
The subscription to the lists can be canceled by the user at any time. Please visit our Mailing list subscription page at https://www.igschools.net/sig/about-us/mailing-list-subscription/ for detalis.
Termination of subscription also revokes the consent to the storage of personal data collected during the registration process, which will be deleted when unsubscribing.
7. Registration for wiki use
7.1 Description and scope of data processing
On our website we offer users the opportunity to register for access to the wiki by providing personal data in order to actively participate. The registration data is entered into an input mask and transmitted to us and saved. The data will not be passed on to third parties.
The following data is collected during the registration process: Username, real name, e-mail address.
At the time of registration, the following data is also stored and sent by e-mail to the wiki’s administrative e-mail address:
- The IP address of the user
- The host name of the user system
- the date and time of registration
- Browser recognition and operating system
The collection of this data serves to protect our information technology systems from misuse.
7.2 Legal basis of data processing
The legal basis for the processing of personal data for wiki registration is Article 6 (1) (f) GDPR.
7.3 Purpose of data processing
The user must register in order to participate in the wiki. The possibility to publish material in the wiki requires an identification of the users for possible liability reasons of the website operator.
These purposes give rise to a legitimate interest in the processing of personal data pursuant to Article 6 (1) (f) GDPR.
7.4 Duration of storage
The data will be deleted as soon as they are no longer necessary to achieve the purpose for which they were collected. This is the case for the data collected during the registration process if the registration on our website is cancelled or changed.
7.5 Possibility of objection and erasure
As a user you have the possibility to cancel the registration at any time. You can change or have the data stored about you changed at any time.
Use the administration function in the wiki for your account, which makes changes and deletion of your data possible. Or contact the controller by email or at the above-mentioned postal address.
If you cancel the registration, active participation in the wiki is no longer possible.
8. Forms to provide information for databases
8.1 Description and scope of data processing
We offer different forms at our website to provide information used in databases. The goal of collecting data via the forms is to build up a databases containing these information and to provide them to the visitors of the web site for research purpose. Therefore the data given in the forms will be made publicly available.
Beside the data given in the forms for publication additional data will be collected
- the consent of the user to use the data
- an email address to contact the submitter if necessary
- the IP address of the user
- the date and time of submission
These additional data will not be made available to any third party.
We do provide 3 forms:
- to register your school on Internet Governance
- to present you as fellow of a school on Internet Governance
- to present you as faculty of a school on Internet Governance
8.2 Legal basis of data processing
The legal basis for the processing of data transmitted for publication via these forms is with the users consent Article 6 (1) (a) GDPR.
The legal basis for the processing of the additional personal data from the transmission of the forms is Article 6 (1) (f) GDPR.
8.3 Purpose of data processing
The purpose is to build up a long time information base on schools on Internet Governance, fellows and faculties of these schools.
If you provide data via the forms we will display this data to the public to allow them
- to find your school at a map and in a table overview,
- to find you as fellow or former fellow of a school on Internet Governance
- to find you as faculty of a school on Internet Governance
The additional personal data processed during the sending process serve to prevent misuse of the forms and to ensure the security of our information technology systems and – in the case of the emails address – to contact the submitter if needed.
8.4 Duration of storage
The data will be deleted as soon as they are no longer necessary to achieve the purpose for which they were processed. For data given in the forms there is no time limit planned.
Longer-term storage may result from legal regulations on retention periods.
The IP address of the user and the date and time of submission collected during the transmission process will be deleted after a period of seven days at the latest.
8.5 Possibility of objection and erasure
The user has the possibility at any time to object to the processing of his transmitted personal data for the future. The data will be deleted from the databases and from the map in this case and not made public any more.
Your consent can be revoked either by e-mail or by post to the above contact details.
All personal data stored in the course of providing data via the forms will be deleted in this case, provided that no longer-term storage is required by statutory provisions on retention periods.
9. Contact via e-mail
9.1 Description and scope of data processing
You can contact us via the e-mail address provided on our website. In this case, the user’s personal data transmitted by e-mail will be stored. The data is used exclusively for processing the conversation.
In this context, the data will not be passed on to third parties.
9.2 Legal basis of data processing
The legal basis for the processing of data transmitted by e-mail is Article 6 (1) (f) GDPR. If the e-mail contact aims at the conclusion of a contract, then additional legal basis for the processing is Article 6 (1) (b) GDPR.
9.3 Purpose of data processing
If you contact us by e-mail, we have a legitimate interest in the processing of your data.
Other personal data processed during the sending process serve to prevent misuse of the contact form and to ensure the security of our information technology systems.
9.4 Duration of storage
The data will be deleted as soon as they are no longer necessary to achieve the purpose for which they were processed. For the personal data sent via e-mail, this is the case when the conversation with the user has ended. The conversation is terminated when it can be inferred from the circumstances that the facts in question have been finally clarified. Longer-term storage may result from legal regulations on retention periods or from requesting an account to the wiki.
The additional personal data collected during the transmission process will be deleted after a period of seven days at the latest.
9.5 Possibility of objection and erasure
The user has the possibility at any time to object to the processing of his transmitted personal data.
Your consent can be revoked either by e-mail or by post to the above contact details.
All personal data stored in the course of contacting us will be deleted in this case, provided that no longer-term storage is required by statutory provisions on retention periods.
In such a case, the conversation cannot be continued by e-mail.
9.6 Security note
We use technical and organizational measures to store your personal data in such a way that they are not accessible by third parties. When communicating by e-mail, we cannot guarantee data security during transmission, so we suggest that you send confidential information by post.
10. Rights of the data subject
If personal data is processed by us, you are affected by the GDPR and you have the following rights vis-à-vis the Controller:
10.1 Right of Access
You have the right to obtain from the controller confirmation as to whether or not personal data concerning you are being processed.
If we process your personal data, you can request information from us on the following points:
- The purposes of processing;
- The categories of personal data processed by the controller;
- The recipients or categories of recipients to whom the personal data have been or will be disclosed;
- The planned duration of the storage of the personal data concerning you or, if specific information on this is not possible, criteria for determining the storage period;
- The existence of the right to request rectification or deletion of personal data concerning you, the right to restrict processing by the contoller or the right to object to such processing;
- The existence of a right of appeal to a supervisory authority;;
- If the personal data are not collected from yourself, any available information of their source;
- the existence of automated decision-making, including profiling in accordance with Article 22(1) and (4) GRPR and – at least in these cases – meaningful information on the logic involved and the scope and intended effects of such processing for the data subject.
You have the right to request information as to whether the personal data concerning you is transferred to a third country or to an international organisation. In this context, you may request to be informed of the appropriate guarantees pursuant to Art. 46 DSGVO in connection with the transmission.
10.2 Right to Rectification
You have the right to request us to correct and/or complete processed personal data concerning you if it is incorrect or incomplete.
10.3 Right to Restriction of Processing
Under the following conditions, you may request that the processing of personal data concerning you be restricted:
- if you dispute the accuracy of the personal data concerning you for a period of time that enables the data controller to verify the accuracy of the personal data
- the processing is unlawful and you refuse to delete the personal data and instead request that the use of the personal data be restricted;
- the controller no longer needs the personal data for the purposes of the processing, but you do need them to assert, exercise or defend legal claims, or
- if you have filed an objection to the processing according to Article 21 (1) GRPR and it is not yet clear whether the legitimate reasons of the controller outweigh your reasons.
- If the processing of personal data concerning you has been restricted, such data may only be processed – apart from being stored – with your consent or for the purpose of asserting, exercising or defending rights or protecting the rights of another natural or legal person or on reasons of an important public interest of the Union or a Member State.
If the processing restriction has been restricted according to the above conditions, you will be informed by the person responsible before the restriction is lifted.
10.4 Right to Erasure
a) Obligation to delete
You have the right to request the controller to delete your personal data without undue delay. We will do so without undue delay if one of the following reasons applies:
- Your personal data are no longer necessary for the purposes for which they were collected or otherwise processed;
- You withdraw your consent on which the processing is based according to Article 6 (1) (a), or Article 9 (2) (a) of the GDPR, and there is no other legal basis for the processing; you object to the processing pursuant to Article 21 (1) of the GDPR and there are no overriding legitimate grounds for the processing, or you object to the processing pursuant to Article 21 (2) of the GDPR
- You file an objection against the processing pursuant to Article 21 (1) GDPR and there are no overriding legitimate reasons for the processing, or you file an objection against the processing pursuant to 21 (2) GDPR.
- Your personal data have been unlawfully processed
- The personal data have to be erased for compliance with a legal obligation in Union or Member State law to which the controller is subject;
- Your personal data have been collected in relation to offered services of the information society referred to in Article 8 (1) of the GDPR.
b) Information to third parties
If the data controller has made the personal data concerning you public and is obliged to delete it pursuant to Article 17 (1) GDPR, it shall take appropriate measures, including technical measures, taking into account the available technology and the implementation costs, to inform those responsible for data processing who process the personal data, that you as the data subject have requested us to delete all links to this personal data or copies or replications of this personal data.
The right to erasure does not exist if the data processing is required
- For exercising the right of freedom of expression and information;
- for the fulfilment of a legal obligation required for processing under the law of the Union or of the Member States to which the controller is subject or for the performance of a task in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority conferred on the controller;
- For reasons of public interest in the area of public health (Articles 9(2) (h) and (i) and 9(3) of the GDPR)
- for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or for statistical purposes pursuant to Art. 89 para. 1 DSGVO, insofar as the law referred to under a) is likely to render impossible or seriously impair the attainment of the objectives of such processing, or
- to assert, exercise or defend legal claims.
10.5 Right to information
If you have exercised your right to have the data controller correct, delete or limit the processing, he/she is obliged to inform all recipients to whom the personal data concerning you have been disclosed of this correction or deletion of the data or restriction on processing, unless this proves impossible or involves a disproportionate effort.
You have the right to be informed of such recipients by the controller.
10.6 Right to Data Portability
You have the right to receive the personal data concerning you that you have provided to the controller in a structured, common and machine-readable format. In addition, you have the right to pass this data on to another person in charge without obstruction by the controller to whom the personal data was transferred, provided that
- The processing is based on consent pursuant to Article 6(1) (a) or Article 9(2) (a) of the GDPR or on a contract pursuant to Article 6(1) (a); and
- The processing is carried out by automated means..
- In exercising this right, you also have the right to request that the personal data concerning you be transferred directly from one data controller to another data controller, insofar as this is technically feasible. The freedoms and rights of other persons must not be affected by this.
The right to Data Portability shall not apply to the processing of personal data necessary for the performance of a task in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority conferred on the controller.
10.7 Right to Object
You have the right to object at any time, for reasons arising from your particular situation, to the processing of personal data concerning you under Article 6 (1) (e) or (f) GDPR; this also applies to profiling based on these provisions.
The controller no longer processes the personal data concerning you, unless he can prove compelling reasons worthy of protection for the processing, which outweigh your interests, rights and freedoms, or the processing serves to assert, exercise or defend legal claims.
10.8 Right to Revoke
You have the right to revoke your data protection declaration of consent at any time. The revocation of the consent does not affect the legality of the processing on the basis of the consent until revoked.
10.9 Automated Decision-Making in Individual Cases including Profiling
You have the right not to be subject to a decision based exclusively on automated processing – including profiling – that has legal effect against you or significantly impairs you in a similar manner. This does not apply if the decision
- is necessary for the conclusion or performance of a contract between you and the controller,
- the legislation of the Union or of the Member States to which the controller is subject is admissible and that legislation contains appropriate measures to safeguard your rights, freedoms and legitimate interests
- with your express consent.
10.10 Right to Lodge a Complaint with a supervisory authority
Without prejudice to any other administrative or judicial remedy, you are entitled to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the Member State of your habitual residence, place of work or place of the alleged infringement, if you consider that the that the processing of personal data concerning you is violating the GDPR.
The supervisory authority to which the complaint has been lodged shall inform the complainant of the status and results of the complaint, including the possibility of a judicial remedy under Article 78 GDPR.
We are happy to answer your questions about the protection of your data. Please contact us under the above mentioned data.